Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Nesting


A little over a month ago, I wrote this poem...

Empty Nest

come, little soul,
rest in my womb.

leave off now
your long journey of skies,
dwell on my bough.

my branches are sturdy,
my nest
is warm with birch bark,
with pine needles and stolen yarn.


i will nourish you with breadcrumbs
and
lullabies,
i will warm you through snowfall and wind,
i will cradle you with evergreen.

i will be your shelter
and you

my promise of spring.


-------------------------------------

Now my womb is indeed become a nest, my prayer child a
tiny flesh and blood miracle, and my heart an overflow of joy.

Sleep well, my little bird. Sleep in peace and grow strong.

1 comment:

Evelyn Wagoner said...

This is so beautiful, Karen. I think this poem should be posted in every OB office (and abortion clinic) in the country! Congratulations again on your miracle. Love, Ev