You are old enough to read the
sign he was holding, old enough to understand he was
talking about cutting up
babies, but what you couldn't
figure out was why.
You came to me for that. I had
to explain to you that not all wombs are safe places. I
used the gentlest
words I could, but murder gently
worded is still ugly. You said that word even before I did. It took you less than ten seconds. Murder. Everyone has a right to live. Everyone.
You were fierce, and you were weeping.
I will not ask you to stop crying, and I
won't tell you that you shouldn't be so angry.
I will tell you that it is okay
for that ache to cut deep.
I hope that twenty-three years
later, when your daughter is sitting on your lap asking
these same questions, that you'll still have tears and anger.
I know I do.
You couldn't understand how it
was that people couldn't see life when it was right in
front of them. We talked of
blinded eyes and our need
for a lamp for our feet, a light for our path. Of the
bonds of grace that keep us from such darkness, that give us
eyes to see.
And we talked about resistance--
not by street signs that scare children but by
arms linked with other broken-hearted-brave
men and women. How we open our hands and do what we can. You know where your Giving Jar is going now. You know why we
pray for crisis pregnancy ministries and churches and women who have
believed lies. You know your God cares for those babies no one
wants. You know what you'll tell your daughter, even what want you'll
tell the President.
That's where you
are right now, with your baby
doll beside you, writing a protest
letter in your notebook. I wrote
one too, when I was your age. My mother helped me mail it. I will
help you.
When you first realized what
that sign meant, you said you wanted to move to an island where all
babies would be safe. I would love to live on that island with you.
But I had to tell you that we can't outrun sin. We carry it with us.
It hounds us and haunts us. The only hope for our murderous hearts
is an entirely new heart. The only refuge is Jesus. Our safe place
isn't an island but a city on a hill. I will live in that city with
you.
And when we at last see the
glory of our King cover the earth as the water covers the seas, we
will know we are forever home.



1 comment:
Why Vegas Slots Are Popular in 2021 - Dr.MCD
A 속초 출장샵 popular Las Vegas 안성 출장샵 casino game, there are numerous slot games and slots 속초 출장샵 that offer a great payout 대전광역 출장안마 percentage for slots that have high payout 충주 출장샵 percentages.
Post a Comment